[ home ] [ site / arch ] [ pony / oat / anon ] [ rp / art ]

/site/ - Site Issues

The board for discussing site related issues, questions, concerns, and suggestions.
Name
Email
Subject
Comment
File
Flags
Password (For file deletion.)

Site maintenance in progress! Posts made now may be lost.

Ponychan-MLPchan Merger >>>/site/15219

File: 1380652946852.png (793.19 KB, 900x900, 1.png)

Anonymous 11123Locked[Last 50 Posts]

I was looking at statistics today and noticed that our traffic really has fallen off a lot and we now are lower than ponychan again.

But some time has passed and I think we have a more stable base on both sides. People aren't joining or leaving nearly as much as before.

Can we get another ponychan merger discussion going?

Completely hypothetically speaking, if this were to ever happen, what would be your minimum conditions of compromise and your preferred conditions?

Personally I feel the userbase on either side isn't really worse than the other and both would appreciate more life even if it means some may get a bit rustled.

I know this ended badly because Orange is back at CoAdmin, but that could be part of the compromise listed above.

Even if it ends up a no, I'd say its worth another shot to see if we can get this done right around when S4 comes.

Anonymous 11125

All I know is that I don't want anyone from Ponychan anywhere near /anon/. If they're gonna come here, keep them on /oat/ or whatever.

I don't want this site to be merged with Ponychan, it seems to me like the culture is way too different. I'm pretty sure the mods already addressed this in another thread too.

Despite the really low traffic, I know that we have a loyal userbase on /anon/ (and I think /oat/ as well), and honestly I prefer low traffic to high traffic, though I'm sure we will get more eventually. Traffic usually increases when 4chan goes down, new people show up and the ones who like it will stay.

Low traffic means less spam and shitposting, as well as the fact that it's easier to follow large threads such as porn dumps and generals, because they will last for days or even weeks without 404'ing. I really like that.

That's my two cents anyways.

Anonymous 11127

I actually use ponychan and /anon/, and I know a lot of people I know from there use it too…

One of the things I am starting to not like about /anon/ is that the porn dumps and clop threads feel rehashed. Like its the same people dumping their favorites over and over (including me) I actually think new users would help on that.

But I honestly do not foresee an increase in traffic. Traffic has been steadily falling and more and more people are going back to 4chan from the scruffening.

It just feels like we have a lack of spontaneity. I think we could actually get more content (not just things that /mlp/ is doing that moved here for it being NSFW) and just fun going. One of the reasons people are complaining about the place feeling jaded is the lack of new original content and too much focus on the community.

and we got a big server, serials can last long without having to 404 by adding a few extra pages.

I guess I should let you explain more, what do you feel is the issue with ponychan and /anon/, because they are a lot more horsefucker than you think.

I just think that yeah, the communities aren't a PERFECT fit, but they do have a decent overlap and working with them would be better for all of us in the long run.

Anonymous 11131

>>11125
>>11127
I'm basically trying to say that having a close knit community oriented chan isn't best for the future, and as a person who cares a lot for both sides, I don't see us stabilizing.

If we merge, I know some will drop out, but I expect posting rates to more than double and then general attitude to be lighter and for both sides to have a sense of one-ness compared to how it is now. I've seen communities I really liked split up by this and new ones take their place, but I feel both sides are choking a bit…with us slowing down more.

Macil!/5s/Techmk 11132

What statistics are you looking at? Besides post numbers (which are a bit hard to compare sensibly due to different posting styles), neither of the sites publish much traffic statistics. Alexa page ranks are next to worthless for comparing anything but high-traffic sites to each other. Google Trends seems to be a decent way of comparing popularity relatively (how this maps to traffic and activity is an open question), and it appears that ponychan and us are doing pretty similarly lately: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=ponychan,%20mlpchan

Never mind any staffing issues for a moment: I can't easily imagine /anon/ working or being desirable for Ponychan. From what I've seen, a large amount of their users (including at least some staff) would rather have Ponychan have nothing to do with that group because that's not what Ponychan aims for. There's an overlap in userbases, but the parts that don't overlap appear to want nothing at all to do with each other. Only if I'm found to be incorrect in this then I think merger ideas could be revisited.

Off-topic:
>>11127
>and we got a big server, serials can last long without having to 404 by adding a few extra pages.
(Assuming you're talking about thread post limits and #cyclic threads here.) The limit on thread sizes here has more to do with the client browser load than server load. The main issue is that opening a large thread can cause many browsers to slow to a stall or crash outright. That happens with large ponychan threads too today. That's something I decided should be avoided here. A more proper solution could be a real pagination system, but I've not pursued that much since the imageboard format is designed around many small short-lived threads and I'm yet not sure from a user-experience design perspective how to reconcile that.

Anonymous 11133

>>11132
somebody posted this earlier
http://chans.tripfags.com/

has posting rates of a ton of chans including ponychan and MLPChan

>>11132
and /anon/ is a bigger issue. I do understand it throws a wrench in the plan. But I don't think it would be as entirely destructive as long as there is a watchdog at least at the beginning over it, which I feel arctic can do.

Anonymous 11134

>>11132
and yeah, I would like to see an actual poll done on the userbases, I don't see the harm in asking.

Anonymous 11135

>>11132
Anyways, I'm just thinking towards the future, I don't see a real reason why besides the upcoming season for posting rates to go up.

Both sites are objectively lowering in speed, and I feel the ponychan community and the MLPchan ones are slowing growing more alike. I feel that while not a perfect solution is the best one for the future. It can be the one stop shop in the fandom and generally can keep this thing alive.

Macil!/5s/Techmk 11136

>>11133
Ooh, we're the #3 (almost practically tied for #2) most active English imageboard by those stats? Cool. Can't say I'm too worried about their 0.9% vs our 0.8%. I mean, finding ways to encourage activity is still good and all. (Now if we manage to outlive 4chan, we can be in the running for #1!)

MLPchan and Ponychan serve overlapping but different niches. I think the way forward is to find ways somehow to define our niche better and a little further from them.

Anonymous 11137

>>11123
If ponychan was gonna be here, please keep them away from /anon/. I don't want to see /anon/ with trips everywhere and >le 20% cooler /). Just my thoughts.

Tom' the /♥/ bringer 11138

As a mod and working community admin, I say, if you want to start a debate about it, go right ahead.

As someone who was in the first discussions for a merge between the two sites, I say it's impossible to do. Not only community-wise but staff-wise.

As an mlpchan member and someone who left Ponychan, I do not want to see both sites merged. However if the community or other staff members provide an overwhelming amount of enthusiasm and ideas regarding it, I'm willing to change my stance.

Until then, this is all I have to stay on the subject, along with what Macil said.

BatBane!FXDOOMLlfE 11139

A merge will never work, the people who use ponychan and who run it are terrible people, and they will say the same for this side aswell.

Anonymous 11140

>>11138
I would totally love to debate that. I will like to ask a question first.

Why did people leave ponychan? Was it really a community issue? Or was it more of an issue with the way the staff was run.

Now, over at the ponychan side, I really don't see a lot of hatred for MLPchan's community aside from a few regulars and here I don't see a lot of hatred with the Ponychan community aside a few regulars. Its more a distaste for how Ponychan is run and a distaste over the creation of MLPchan.

Also, I was there for the merge talks as well, I remember the major reasons why it was against and it was a fear of overly harsh moderation, orange coming back, and mods fighting about stuff on both sides. Well the moderation can be calmed down in negotiations, Orange has a co owner so he can step down with someone in place, and mods who freaked out are no longer in place on the ponychan side.

Now I really think something moot said in the livestream is right, you cannot base a site on "not being 4chan". If the only issue here is the userbases not liking each other than I feel that that is exactly that. We aren't ponychan and the only reason we aren't merging is because we don't like ponychan. It could be the same on their side, but I really don't know, I should ask them. Is this a misinterpretation of what you are saying, because it seems like you feel the community and the staff just don't like each other, and as a user of both sites, I really feel most of this animosity is due to the sites themselves not the actual people in them.

and sometimes you just gotta push things through if they are worth it, and I would like to know why the things I said earlier don't counteract the negatives, or if they aren't true.

>>11137
that's not ponychan. I haven't seen that used there unironically in a while aside from the passing 12 year old for a while.

>>11136
Yeah, I know we are but you are missing the bigger picture, our posting rates are barely over half our yearly average. Its close now, but its fallen a lot.

and if you want to iron out a niche, I'd like to hear what niche you have in mind, because it seems like you guys are going for "the place for everybody whether you like NSFW or not" and ponychan is going for "the place where you just don't post NSFW but may or may not like it" seems a bit close.

It has nothing to do with them being a slight bit faster, its us passing them up by a longshot then falling off in posting rapidly.

Anonymous 11141

>>11140
>Now, over at the ponychan side, I really don't see a lot of hatred for MLPchan's community aside from a few regulars and here I don't see a lot of hatred with the Ponychan community aside a few regulars. Its more a distaste for how Ponychan is run and a distaste over the creation of MLPchan.

I've no distaste for the community whatsoever, MLPchan is a great place that I enjoy spending time with. I have multiple gripes regarding the staff here, though, and could never support a merger. I don't think a merger is something that would significantly improve either site, as an aside. Both sites are doing fine on their own. Macil and Tom have the right idea: both sites need to develop their own niche catering to their use majority and differentiate themselves from the other rather than combining.

Anonymous 11142

>>11141
could you explain WHY it wouldn't be beneficial?

If its not a community issue than the staff who are holding back the merge should move out of the way for the better of the community.

Its all about sacrificing for the greater good of the community

Anonymous 11143

>>11141
also, what niche? We can't just go "oh we'll find a niche later", our niche so far is being a bit more open that ponychan…but its still a strong overlap

Anonymous 11144

>>11142

Can you explain why it would be? According to the statistics posted earlier, we're the fourth and fifth largest chans in the cloud. We're not hurting for traffic on either side and people are generally pleased with the way things are. I think, at best, you won't find many people in opposition, but you definitely won't find too many people demanding that it's a good or important concept.

Macil!/5s/Techmk 11145

>>11142
>If its not a community issue than the staff who are holding back the merge should move out of the way for the better of the community.

Ponychan and /anon/ not working together is a community issue.

Anonymous 11146

>>11144
I can, our traffic fell off from what it was. Both sides are slowing fading in traffic. Both sides have expressed a lack of topics, and there is less content.

and while we aren't hurting traffic, we are hurting potential traffic. Not only will traffic increase twofold, posts should increase by a degree higher due to being able to bounce conversations off of more people at a time…and slower=/=better. It may make the post quality higher, but it doesn't necessarily mean that. But it CERTAINLY means the potential for games and content is far lower.

…and I feel at least to a degree, some opinions, no matter how numerous shouldn't matter. I know that's why I shouldn't be an Admin because I'd push what I felt was right too hard. Sometimes people when put in their own community for too long start to get a bit of an echo chamber, and as somebody from both sides who is seeing this I think that's what's happening. What they say should be considered, but when you have people say "I don't want ponychan 20% cooler brony autists" or I don't want rude MLPchan horsefuckers" It to me is saying you either don't know how to make a point without exaggeration, or you are simply misinformed because each side is full of both.

I just hate the idea of "if it ain't broke don't fix it", when fixing it is holding us back from true greatness. I may be wrong, but I dont think anything said is inherently wrong.

>>11145
and that definitely needs to be addressed and is the potential dealbreaker. But I don't see why talking about it is a waste. /anon/ and ponychan ARE different, which is why I think we need a strong watchdog moderation which Arctic is to keep it from going full ponychan. Its really not much different than he did during the scruffening.

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11147

>>11123
I don't like Ponychan, and still hold heavy resentment to several of the mods as well as Orange there, though.

Anonymous 11148

>>11147
that is specifically why I said hypothetically if we ever did, what would be the staff conditions

I even specifically mentioned that. This thread isn't a "lets merge guys!" thread, its a lets say we decide to, what would be the minimum and preferred conditions

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11149

>>11148
We oust most all the Ponychan mods, and run things how they are run here.
Which is to say, mostly self-moderation.
Even then, it probably wouldn't work. Posters between are too different.

Anonymous 11150

>>11149
Like I said earlier, what is the difference in posting style? Because I don't see much of a difference as a person on both sides

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11151

>>11150
Main one is that I can be a jerk around here.
Ponychan you can get banned for not being all buddy-buddy with yonder urist mcspecial.
That and they are a lot more strict on indecency.
So, no boobies or butts. Good luck getting even /anon/'s mature filter on there.

Anonymous 11152

>>11151
sounds like you haven't been there in a while, you can post butts and boobs (just no nipples)

and during the last merger talks they were fine with having the mature content boards. I don't see why that would change.

and yeah, unless you act like a total jerk you won't…but sometimes you may get a short ban for just making your whole shtick being a jerk.

to be 100% frank with you, stuff like this is what I was talking about in the opinions that just aren't reflective of the current times that both sides have.

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11153

>>11152
Perhaps not. Though, last time wasn't too long ago, although admittedly it was only /oat/.

Anonymous 11154

>>11153
Its like, /oat/ in the last few months has been butts general.

I think this is the biggest thing holding /oat/ out, simply assuming that ponychan ran its course instead of getting loose on the rules also.

/anon/ I understand, but all the content boards should have no problem, and I think /oat/ and /pony/ are compatible almost completely if we get a more loose rules system

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11155

>>11154
Well, as long as we get the same set of rules as here, and actually set up to where they follow said set of rules, sure.
Mods follow that, that is.
If I recall, although this might've changed too, Ponychan's mods had a bad problem of too many differing opinions on how severe punishments, and what exactly was against the rules.
We ought to make a chan-constitution or something. That'd be awesome.

Macil!/5s/Techmk 11156

>>11152
>and during the last merger talks they were fine with having the mature content boards. I don't see why that would change.

During the merger talks between the staffs, that was one of the elephants in the room none of us really got around to focusing on. And back then was before /anon/ got popular, so it being axed was a possibility on the table at that point.

There's issues between not insignificant parts of both communities, and issues between the staffs. I think the merger ideas are flawed on multiple levels. I'm not sure what is salvageable in the merger idea.

Anonymous 11157

>>11156
Really? I could have sworn Fenolio said he's down with that

and honestly, I've said what I think about that, I feel that staff issues shouldn't matter because we have two whole communities to pull from. Of course there is going to be personal issues, but that shouldn't stop what's best for the community

Now, aside from /anon/ because I already know that, what are the community issues? Because that's the big deal for me. Do note that I feel that both sides simply have outdated views of the other, ponychan is NOT a 20%coolerXD/) hugbox, and we aren't rude, mean people as a whole.

And on /anon/, how is this different than what happened with /mlp/? We had to sorta make them comfortable for quite a while, I remember some stuff about grump anon for example that had to be dealt with, and Arctic did what he did best to keep the community's integrity alive. I don't see why he can't do it again

11158

File: 1380691475663.png (138.14 KB, 267x615, 140.png)

i still personally dont see the problem with the merger… if anything pchan posters a lot like us nowadays and they'd mostly stick around in /oat/ tbh. which we could use the traffic.

thing is i'd be hard to convince most this… since most people still think pchan will spam memes when in fact that is actually frowned apon in the pchan community even…

like, even if they were to use /anon/, you shouldnt even be able to tell they are there since they should be posting as anon.

but trying to convince a community that pchan users are alot like us would be like trying to teach /mlp/ the correct definition of the word "autistic".

just my two cents

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11159

File: 1380703892535.jpg (15.29 KB, 241x230, lyra NO!.jpg)

>>11123
1) this was expected. This is not due to MLPchan being bad or boring but because the fandom, as a whole, is getting thinner. Ponies are not new or exciting any more and people move on. Those who are hard core and stayed will stay.
2) I advise we wait until season 4 and see if people come back or if new ones will join.
3) I recommend that we wait for anonthony to come back. I'm not saying he should make the decision for all of us but he has experience in this and might have a bunch of ideas that would benefit both those who want to merge and those who want to stay separate.
4) the main problem is traffic, not ponychan. Instead of discussing why or why not we should merge with ponychan we should discuss how to get more posters here without to do anything with ponychan.
5) if the only solution is merge, then I suggest we merge with other pony imageboards, not ponychan.
6) most posters are here or were here because of the retarded moderation of /mlp/ and ponychan. A solution to any problem should involve either of these two sites by default.

I for one vote against the merge with ponychan

Anonymous 11162

OP, I feel like this thread is going in circles.

It has pretty much already been said by others: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Seriously.

If you ask people on /anon/ what they think of Ponychan, 99 percent of them will tell you they despise it. I got banned from Ponychan for two weeks just for starting an "IWTCIRD" thread as a joke. They are absolutely terrified of porn, and considering the extreme recurring fetish generals on /anon/ (scat, crotchtits, unbirthing, armpits, etc.) I just can't imagine a merge really working without either side getting hurt somehow in the process.

/mlp/ users flocking to /anon/ was different because it wasn't a combination of boards or sites, it was the mods helping one particular board accommodate a relatively new userbase, and they did a VERY good job–but that said, it probably wasn't that difficult, because the whole point of /anon/ is lax moderation/self-moderation.

I recall one of the mods saying that they rarely ever ban people from /anon/ for almost anything, and even when they do they give out warnings first. I just think trying to merge that kind of culture with a site like Ponychan would be an absolute disaster for pretty much everyone involved, not to mention the problems with this Orange guy in the past (although I don't really know much about that).

It seems to me that if Ponychan really wants to be a part of this site so bad, they should go to /oat/. But I know most of /anon/ wants nothing to do with Ponychan.

Also traffic will probably increase when season 4 comes, having an entire site dedicated to one show is tricky because there's only so much you can talk about that's on-topic while on hiatus.

When s4 starts there will probably be much more show discussion everywhere, even on /anon/. For now, porn is the main thing that keeps /anon/ going, and most of us enjoy it the way it is, extremely low traffic aside.

Sorry for the really long post, but I really wanted to say all that.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11163

>>11159
>A solution to any problem should involve neither of these two sites by default.

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11165

>>11162
Most of /oat/ (at least the old fags) are still fairly bitter at ponychan.
Mostly at the mods, though. I still dislike that fenolio or however it is guy, for example.
There's still a lot of sore feelings. Even now, after all this time.

Basically, this would be like trying to remerge /mlp/ and /anon/.

Anonymous 11166

>>11165

Oh…well I guess that's all the more reason to not merge the sites.

Honestly /anon/ is usually my preferred place of discussion even for non-pony-related stuff. I just like the community better and it's easy to keep up with the threads.

Anonymous 11168

>>11162
>I got banned from Ponychan for two weeks just for starting an "IWTCIRD" thread as a joke.
When was this? I hold the opinion that they really aren't that way anymore. I mean, who doesn't WTCIRD?

Question for all the people who don't want ponychan on /anon/. Are you really afraid of a moral crusade or something? Because I'm sure that won't happen and that can be stopped by the mods quick.

Im sorry but if you really believe Ponychan's userbase is afraid of porn you don't know what you are talking about. At least not today. And I'd hate to stop a merger on outdated views.

>>11159
I also do feel that Anonthony should be involved in this. I wouldn't want to make the decision for him.

and fine lets discuss getting more posters here, how? I don't know how you can do that. Its very hard to reverse a site's trend

>most posters are here or were here because of the retarded moderation of /mlp/ and ponychan. A solution to any problem should involve neither of these two sites by default.

I gotta disagree, If we are able to fix the "retarded moderation" through the compromise, then why would we not want them back?

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11169

File: 1380728135213.jpg (32.04 KB, 500x464, tumblr_lr4e9evAYO1r0cwmxo1_500…)

>>11168
I don't know. The first thing that comes in mind is to tell everyone to leave an mlpchan hint where ever they post: youtube, deviant art, derpibooru, … . Or to make an mlpchan commercial video and post it on youtube. Or we could get efchan to merge with us? I don't know.

> If we are able to fix the "retarded moderation"

The reason mlpchan exists is because there is no way.
I took exploiting moderation to the extremes so it may have demolished my credibility but I entrust that you will judge what I'm saying by how much sense it makes and not by who is saying it.
The moderation there has no solid base. It is based on what's good or what's bad but what's good and what's bad is subjective. What's reasonably good to me may be considered as bad to them. What's reasonably good to one mod may be considered bad to the other. This practically gives them the chance to ban anyone they don't like, without explaining anything. They can't sit back and and say, I don't like this pic, it's disturbing, and gross but this is not against the rules so I'll bare with it. They will ban you and tell you some shit that it was in your intention to make others interpret this pic sexually, or the context of the pic makes it sexual, or you were testing the rules, you should have expected to cross the line. So whether you get banned or not depends on what they think you wanted to do; you can get banned if others create a sexual context for your post and not because the nature of your post; and it depends on what they think you were going to do. Ponychan mods can't deal with people so they gave themselves the right to ban anyone at any time so they don't have to deal with people.

If making a drama is against the rules then ban those who make the drama and not those who pissed off the people who made the drama even if it means banning someone you like.

Anonymous 11171

File: 1380735210852.png (334.11 KB, 1680x1050, ponychan ban iwtci.png)

>>11168

Apparently it was actually for one week, but still.

It was in February. Last time I went there, they told me to come here.

Anonymous 11172

File: 1380735333007.png (240.84 KB, 200x296, 6e1.png)

>>11127
I know that feel.

OP, no. This is faggoty, and you are a faggot.

Anonymous 11173

>>11172

I think you quoted the wrong person.

Anonymous 11174

>>11173
He said that he posts on Ponychan and /anon/. It's the same for me.

Anonymous 11175

>>11169
if we had a merger, we could establish a new moderation team. If the ones who don't want to follow the compromise have a problem, then they should leave.

Community issues should be the only thing holding this back. I don't think there is much that can change my opinion on this part.

and yes, I agree on the thing you say about the pics being hard to interpret as sexually explicit…but as I said earlier, that would certainly HAVE to be part of the compromise.

I think you guys are assuming I am suggesting to just merge and accept ponychan's regime. I am saying to merge and start from the ground up with a new and refined rules system that is made for that.

I am suggesting we get rid of the moderators who don't want to deal with it on a personal level.

I am suggesting the communities fit, its just moderator issues which don't, and if you shuffle the moderators so everybody on staff is on board with this then I have no idea how on earth it can't be done.

>>11172
Thanks

>>11171
So how did the community react? That's what I am referring to. I know the moderation can be a bit rigid, but that would change because of what I am saying.

If the community didn't freak out, then I think there is no reason to have a problem with the community.

I get being afraid of the moderation, but I am actually suggesting we start again

>>11174
Yeah, a lot do actually, I know at least like 8 or 9

Anonymous 11177

Ok, since I think people are missing the point of what I am saying.

If there ever was a merge, I would suggest this compromise
PONYCHAN
-Ponychan shall have to sumbit to having a lower amount of boards, but I do personally feel bringing /chat/ back in a merge is not a bad thing.
-Ponychan shall have to lower its guard on Somewhat explicit content. Make it have explicit rules with grey areas allowed, no banning over simple things are that are iffy, and be wary of bans period.
-Ponychan would probably have to cut Orange, and possibly staff members.
-Ponychan would have to allow mature content on the content oriented boards and /anon/

MLPCHAN
-MLPchan should be willing to try to cater a bit to the more SFW community that ponychan is. Not saying that you need to be harsh on the rules, but if there is a NSFW pic that isn't in a proper area it should be deleted promptly. The moderation needs to be faster
-MLPchan should have potentially cut staff who are unwilling and probably would have to hire more simply because the rules need to be a bit more quickly covered.
-MLPchan would honestly have to put aside bad blood and try to be meaningful with this.
-/anon/ will HAVE to be heavily moderated for quality of posting by new IPs if that can be tracked at the beginning due to the new people. Flaming may happen because of a few people who can't handle opinions and it shouldn't run off the good anons.

BOTH
-Look at the other side in a present tense not a past tense. At least TRY to put the past behind you since this is new regime.
-Think about the other people and the future more than yourselves


Now, this is hypothetical and I know its contentious, but can people comment on this and tell me why this shouldn't at least be looked into? I say its worth another shot even if its probably not gonna happen. Last time this happened it was not knowing the futures of ponychan that killed it on our side. Now that that is more settled…I think opening it up again isn't bad.

Anonymous 11178

>>11177
Im just saying IF conditions like this were agreed on, don't you think its worth at least a talk?

Anonymous 11179

>>11178

No, I don't think there's enough to gain from this that it's even worth discussing. It would require that there be almost literally no problems with the merge, such that the response to the question would be "May as well, why not?" rather than "I suppose we could if we meet certain conditions."

Anonymous 11180

>>11162
>Also traffic will probably increase when season 4 comes, having an entire site dedicated to one show is tricky because there's only so much you can talk about that's on-topic while on hiatus.
One thing that might help is nudging everyone to read all the comics. That is a bunch more show-related content available for viewing. (One could also draw a spotlight on particular fanworks. To get a decent discussion going about ____, you need people who have actually seen ____.)

Anonymous 11181

>>11179
how so? Of course there is going to problems, its whether the pros outweigh the cons.

ALL site decisions have had this. Heck look at cutting the boards, that actually caused some people to leave.

Its always going to have cons, just like any tough decision. I think saying "I suppose if we could meet certain conditions" is a good starting point.

!Lawnyb.uhc 11182

File: 1380739278092.png (98.84 KB, 195x201, be260c08370988389cd6e2afee3a6d…)

I don't see the point of a merge.
Both sites have their own audience and nothing is stopping anyone from using either.

It's like having a Carl's Jr next door to a Jack in the Box.
Both make good burgers and while having different menus are pretty similar.
You don't need to mash them into a Jack in the Car's Jr Box to be able to use both at your own choosing.

Anonymous 11183

>>11181

And I'm saying that the pros are so minimal that they couldn't outweigh any cons.

Anonymous 11184

>>11182
But it doesn't work like that. People simply don't prefer crossposting. Tell me honestly, if you have two tabs open of two very interesting things, don't you still end up choosing one at a time?

Bouncing conversation off each other is important to chans, not just the userbases

>>11183
Could you elaborate and be specific? I guess I just don't personally feel the communities are as different as people think nowadays

Anonymous 11185

>>11184

They're different enough that we have to think about how a merge would happen and convince large numbers of distrustful staff members to think it's a good idea. Meanwhile, what does a merge actually get us? Both boards are plenty active with happy users that don't desire a change. Merging at this point would just be a mess.

Anonymous 11186

I am absolutely against any kind of merger with Ponychan. I don't like them, I don't like thier culture, I don't like their moderation and I don't want to have anything to do with them.

Macil!/5s/Techmk 11187

>>11175
>I am suggesting we get rid of the moderators who don't want to deal with it on a personal level.

Any plan that starts with "we remove most moderators and a number of admins" is a plan that removes most incentives from the people that could actually execute the plan. If the rest of the plan guaranteed peace on Earth, then that might make up for it, but the rest of this plan is just as contested.

The rest of the plan either needs to be better than sliced bread and be absolutely stellar in the community-merger part (which it isn't), or it at least needs to not involve each side telling the other that most of them have to quit. The merger idea is getting failing marks in every category.

>>11184
>Could you elaborate and be specific? I guess I just don't personally feel the communities are as different as people think nowadays
>>11132
>There's an overlap in userbases, but the parts that don't overlap appear to want nothing at all to do with each other.

The Person Who Posts As Fluttershy (Element of Self-descriptive Usernames) 11188

File: 1380739937597.jpg (55.73 KB, 480x269, 3r5cjy[1].jpg)

>this proposal again

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11189

File: 1380740127453.jpg (151.97 KB, 946x915, tumblr_m05ghuOJcM1r19djlo7_128…)

>>11175
> If the ones who don't want to follow the compromise have a problem, then they should leave.
> then they should leave.
This is exactly the case. This is why mlpchan exist. Those who wouldn't accept the ponychan bullshit left. This is what you see here. We are the "bad guys", the outcasts, who couldn't - wouldn't make that ridiculous compromise.

Anonymous 11190

>>11185
>Any plan that starts with "we remove most moderators and a number of admins" is a plan that removes most incentives from the people that could actually execute the plan.
That's just me, That could easily be taken out. I am not a member of either staff and that's only meant to be for extreme cases where there is a mod who just won't agree because he hates the other side holding everything back…or one who wont agree to the new ruleset

I am mostly saying that staff shouldn't say no to the merger "because I don't like the other staff" and bring personal issues to the table

Sorry for phrasing it in a bad way.


>>11189
that is a good point, but I really can't think they'd start another chan off that. I mean really, I think they know the issues and are pretty afraid of that happening again.

Anonymous 11191

>>11190

It's not a childish playground kind of "I don't like the other staff", though. It's the type Republicans vs Democrats type of "I don't like the other staff", where they're quite certain that the other site's staff would cause irreparable harm to the site. Furthermore, it's not a matter of removing individual mods who happen to be unhappy with things. Even if we removed every mod there was and left it to the owners of either site I have no reason to believe that they would agree to merge the sites.

Macil!/5s/Techmk 11192

>>11190
>that is a good point, but I really can't think they'd start another chan off that.
It's already happened. You're there now.
>I mean really, I think they know the issues and are pretty afraid of that happening again.
Ponychan is still Ponychan. Many things that drove the split are still true today.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11193

File: 1380741372815.png (117.25 KB, 1220x423, 137703422493.png)

>>11177
These have nothing to do with the conflict with ponychan. Ponychan moderation is based of emotions and affections towards posters. They refuse to administer the same penalty for the same incidents.

They allow users who get offended easily to push around other users to avoid drama, instead of banning that pampered whining brat. They protect posters who can't deal with others having a different opinion and ban assholes who don't brake the rules, instead of just letting the community threat them how they deserve to be treated and ban people only when someone brakes the rule.

They threat OC as persons with human rights, roleplays as historical events… They would ban someone for posting an OC just because that OC "belongs" to someone who didn't give permission to you to post that OC; because that OC was once roleplayed as a paedophile and they ban anyone who posts it because that OC has a "history".

Mods treat posters as sheep with down-syndrome. They tell us they ban us for our own good? They brag how many posters they banned and how that equals to how much they have done for the site? And when you confront them they either ban you, sage/ lock/ delete the thread. They tell you that you should have discussed this on e-mail but they never reply.

Ok I get that some people eat shit, maybe including you too if you believe this, but I sure as fuck don't.

Anonymous 11194

>>11191
This was a thing that both staff sides were willing to consider but called it off due to future

If you followed the arc here https://mlpchan.net/test/res/361.html

and connected it with https://mlpchan.net/site/res/9135.html#9135

Its was issues surrounding orange and stuff about that that caused it to do down.

Now that we know the future, and Orange has somebody else who owns the site just as much as him, I think opening it up again wouldn't be horrible

>>11193
>date
That's my point, its not that way anymore, at all.

and agreed, that should definitely be put down and is wrong, I just need to see more current things on that to make an issue out of it.

I believe it was one day, but isn't now. Does that make me a shit eater? If so then I guess I might be.

>>11192
That was my point, they are too scared of this happening again. They doubted we could become this, now they have a reason to be wary

Anonymous 11195

>>11194
>Now that we know the future, and Orange has somebody else who owns the site just as much as him, I think opening it up again wouldn't be horrible

It just opened. This thread opened it. So far everyone even remotely important has said no.

Anonymous 11196

>>11195
Im referring to the staffs talking about it, not some users talking on one side and a few mods saying it.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11197

File: 1380741825461.png (264.81 KB, 1000x823, lyra choke lyra.png)

>>11190
The fuck man? It's not about what you believe. This is exactly why ponychan sucks, they believe they are good and who they ban is evil, and they are evil because they got banned. You sound like you were one of them doing this as a sabotage.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11198

File: 1380741876253.png (71.82 KB, 1285x648, banmessage.png)

>>11194
Fuck you and your date

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11199

I'm just going to save this thread too, to rub it in someone's face the next time this gets debated again.

Anonymous 11200

>>11197
I never once said that. You are projecting something onto me that is not what I am saying.

Tell me where I once Implied I liked that about them? Stop bringing personal attacks into this

It IS about what I believe because I go to both places about equally, I go to both and know the nuances of stuff here and there at the time.

>>11198
>>11197
That guy was there to start trouble but he shouldn't have been banned.

That was admittedly a poor decision, and while a one day ban isn't bad, AT MOST it should have had a warning of what that means and letting them go.

also, I'm pretty sure you got banned over here for "flaming" that you felt was unwarranted. Both sides have things they are fallible on

Macil!/5s/Techmk ## Admin 11201

>>11196
Since the time merger talks between staffs happened, things have only progressed away from the merger idea. /anon/ became popular here, which wouldn't mesh with the existing Ponychan culture, and Orange returned to a more active role at Ponychan, which coincided with more disinterest from users here.

Anonymous 11202

>>11201
Hasn't /anon/ gotten less popular since then?

And yes, Orange did, but as a Co-Owner and less of a decisionmaking sort I believe. He actually has someone else helping pay the bills now

Macil!/5s/Techmk 11203

>>11202
>Hasn't /anon/ gotten less popular since then?
/anon/ was a negligible footnote ready to be axed at the time before the /mlp/ moderation crackdown ("The Scruffening"). It definitely is not on the chopping block any more.

>And yes, Orange did, but as a Co-Owner and less of a decisionmaking sort I believe.

Not exactly a situation I think many are willing to bet the site on, especially when the merger idea already has other issues.

Anonymous 11204

File: 1380743385775.gif (174.31 KB, 1000x1000, Raindrops laughing.gif)

>>11198
>the new ban page calls you a beta

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11205

File: 1380743468770.png (2.84 KB, 334x279, lyra incomprehandable argument…)

>>11197
> I really can't think they'd start another chan off that
You don't believe they'd but they did and this is it. You thought wrong.
> I mean really, I think they know the issues and are pretty afraid of that happening again.
You believe they are afraid, no they aren't. You thought it wrong.
What you believe is wrong, and you base your debate on what you wrongly believe.
This site isn't run by you so it's not about what you believe. And even if it was, just because you believe that the earth is flat it is still round, you just won't accept it.

I never said you liked them. I said you are like them because you don't base your argument on facts or logical deductions but on your beliefs without any evidence or proof and on your own subjective view of what's right or wrong. That's exactly ponychan like.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11206

>>11205
>>11200
wrong link

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11207

>>11205
also this :
>Orange did, but as a Co-Owner and less of a decisionmaking sort I believe

I'm an atheist so you got to give me facts to support you not beliefs.

Anonymous 11208

>>11203
>>11207
http://www.ponychan.net/chan/meta/res/146195

>>11205
that is correct, I have hardly any facts. its very hard to have an objective stance on this because most things happen in the behind the scenes. I am speaking from my personal experience only…just like you are speaking from personal experience.

Macil!/5s/Techmk 11210

>>11208
The implication I was making was that Orange still has significant decision power over Ponychan.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11212

File: 1380746181752.png (174.81 KB, 960x832, lyra read dumb.png)

>>11208
404 This is a test.

Having personal experience has nothing to do with facts and staying objective. It may influence what one believes, but beliefs are irrelevant.

So far
1) you believed we are not refugees of ponychan- the admin confirmed that mlpchan really is a bunch of outcasts
2) you believed that /anon/ was dead - no it has potential, since /mlp/ moved there
3) you believe that ponychan changed - I presented a proof it did not
4) you believe that Orange has no decision power - your proof is a 404-ed thread
5) you believe that what you believe matters - I proved it does not because the site isn't yours and logical decisions are not made by relying on beliefs

MLPchan's history or the the fact that /anon/ is not dead is not my personal experience or subjective opinion. You may believe otherwise but until now, what you believed is all wrong so you better give me something convincing because your beliefs are bullshit.

Anonymous 11213

>>11212
#rekt

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11214

File: 1380746578539.png (26.13 KB, 945x945, 131343833270-Lyra_I_dunno.png)

Anonymous 11215

>1) I never believed that, I know. I never once claimed that MLPchan isn't a bunch of outcasts

>2)

I am an /anon/ regular who feels its not dead…but not as popular it can be

>3

I admitted that was a bad decision but I don't think that should hold back from noticing trends. One thing is not proof that it hasn't.

>4

forgot to add html. and I never said he has no decision power, he just has less
http://www.ponychan.net/chan/meta/res/146195.html

>5

I have my opinions based around fact, but you are correct, I shouldn't have brought the subjective things up.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11216

File: 1380747925740.png (2.06 MB, 1280x1400, 133003746344.png)

>>11215

>>11189
>Those who wouldn't accept the ponychan bullshit left. This is what you see here. We are the "bad guys", the outcasts, who couldn't - wouldn't make that ridiculous compromise.
>>11190
>but I really can't think they'd start another chan off that
>>11215
> I never believed that, I know. I never once claimed that MLPchan isn't a bunch of outcasts
I think you should use the excuse that you were not that anon.

>but not as popular it can be

Then do you think enforcing stricter rules will get more posters there?

> I don't think that should hold back from noticing trends

"Better" doesn't equal to "good enough". If changes were made then it is not noticeable, or the changes don't involve my interests. I can hardly feel any change if the only thing that changed is the person who bans me for the same made up reason. The two ban messages where I was banned for the same ridiculous reason is a proof of that.

I'd appreciate if you could quote or point out the relevant replies in that thread, you posted, because it's awfully long.

Anonymous 11217

>>11216
Its like you are ignoring all context in my posts. I said no to stricter rules here >>11177

and to the "but I can't really believe they'd start another chan off that" I was referring to how they at the beginning told people "go and make your own chan". Now they have less of a reason to say that. I've been on ponychan since late-mid 2011 and was in a lot of major stuff there, I know the history. I haven't heard them say that since MLPchan was made.

>"Better" doesn't equal to "good enough". If changes were made then it is not noticeable, or the changes don't involve my interests. I can hardly feel any change if the only thing that changed is the person who bans me for the same made up reason. The two ban messages where I was banned for the same ridiculous reason is a proof of that.

Its certainly more proof that I have, I acknowledge that I don't have proof, but that is primarily because I don't have time, knowledge, data, and power to make a computer model of the average interactions between mods and different users over a period of time. Things that are banned are a lot more noteworthy of saving and keeping track of so I don't have anything to counter that.

I'm just saying from a personal viewpoint, things have changed. Because that is the only thing I can possibly go off of as a person who has only been banned for good reasons and for only an hour at most.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that the mods are good there, I think they are better but they aren't perfect. I have gripes on both sides, I was saying the COMMUNITY is more accepting of that stuff over there

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11218

>>11217
> I said no to stricter rules here >>11177
>>11177
>-/anon/ will HAVE to be heavily moderated for quality of posting by new IPs if that can be tracked at the beginning due to the new people. Flaming may happen because of a few people who can't handle opinions and it shouldn't run off the good anons.

Anonymous 11219

>>11218
I was reffering to trying to limit "YOU GUYS ARE SICK HOW CAN YOU LIEK THIS I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW PERVERTED YOU ARE" posts from passing people because it can run off the good anons

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11220

>>11219
I'm pretty sure banning posts like that is the definition of stricter rules.

Anonymous 11221

>>11220
Yeah, I was iffy on that, I was just trying to preserve board culture integrity at the beginning. The people at /anon/ wouldn't want that happening on their board and I am just trying to appeal to that.

that can be adjusted.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11222

File: 1380750790602.png (159.25 KB, 400x400, 1377733636207.png)

>>11217
I see your point and it looks like you see mine so I'm going to make this straight. If you can convince me that the ponychan mods will uphold the rules but not overdoing it then I'll agree to the merge. And by not over doing it I mean if being an asshole is not against the rules then I shouldn't be banned for breaking the rules if I acted like an asshole. So if someone makes a drama I don't want to be banned for pissing the twat off and I expect that drama making fag banned.

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11223

>>11221
Fairly sure that those kinds of posts are part of /anon/ already.
Regardless; I don't like bans over things like trolling, flaming, or shitposting.
Too broad and open to interpretation.
And if the past is any regard, P-chan mods have always been a bit random. That is to say, where one mod will let you go scott free, another will ban you for a week.

Anonymous 11224

>>11219
Posts like that would just turn me on more.

Anonymous 11225

>>11222
and that's something that is hard to prove. I'm sure you won't take their word at face value and you shouldn't.

To be fair tho from their site rules page, it kinda is against the rules. Should it be? that's debatable, but it is in there

spoiled so it looks better
Don't spam threads or posts.
Don't make unnecessary drama. People are allowed to like things you don't like, and to argue against such is a waste of time here.
Be polite, or at least civil, when disagreeing or arguing with somebody, and do not insult others. This will help you to get your point across more easily.
Don't discriminate. Judge people based on what they do or say, not who they are.
Don't purposely derail threads. Nobody likes the guy who jumps into a conversation anHEY GUYS THERE'S A PONY OUT HERE DANCING.
Do not maliciously impersonate others, and do not sockpuppet (#3).
From time to time, the staff will have to make some tough decisions regarding site policy and structure. If you have any concerns about them, have any other issue, or you just want to make a suggestion, please visit /meta/.


>>11223
It is? I really don't see people complain about it being too disgusting there at all?

and yeah, I agree, I just am trying to make sure people don't think that's a good thing to do to a community. Something has to be done to prevent it from turning too much ponychan at the beginning just like there was stuff done there to keep it welcoming for the /mlp/ guys.

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11226

>>11225
I don't like those rules you just posted.
What about freedom for posters to just do what they want to, and let it be controlled by the community.
You know, like we do already. Worked so far.

Not that direct line, but shoddy-quality stuff similar to it.

I prefer our system. If rules like the ones you suggested were in place, I would probably leave.

Anonymous 11227

>>11226
those are taken from ponychan's rules page

here is ours

Disruptive behaviors that prevent others from engaging in a thread are prohibited.
Stalking, harrassment, or posting of others' personal information are prohibited.

I was just saying that to be fair to their side, being an asshole is kinda against the civility rules. It isn't out of the blue, but that whole thing can be worked with

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11228

>>11227
That's a thing they'd have to get rid of, to me.
The silly notion of "civility rules". It's just dumb.

Anonymous 11229

>>11228
Its so they have the right to ban you if you are just a total jerk who is disruptive to the whole community.

I can see both sides on it, I would have it, but very loosely/barely enforce it.

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11230

>>11229
We have something along that lines. Which is the disruptive behavior. But it isn't so broad as to be a any-case item.
It's basically for people who are intentionally disrupting threads, or actively harassing someone.
I don't know the history, but I believe this is what Scat anon was banned for.

Anonymous 11231

>>11230
exactly. I like the way yours is put together better

Anonymous 11232

File: 1380754450618.jpg (350.81 KB, 904x1080, Luna.jpg)

>>11225
>Don't discriminate. Judge people based on what they do or say, not who they are.

Anonymous 11233

>>11232
I actually don't see that as inherently bad. I mean, it shouldn't need to be said I agree, but as an ideal its fine

Anonymous 11234

>>11233
The whole thing of "civility rules" just sounds stupid. I prefer the rules we have now on /anon/.

Anonymous 11235

>>11234
and /anon/ actually is really civil for the most part.

One of the reason that as a community you guys are my favorite around here.

Anonymous 11236

>>11235
I feel that any new rules or mods will be a plague.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11237

>>11233
The very rule is stupid. It tells you all about how ponychan rules were made. They don't know how to make rules but they know discrimination is bad so a good rule will not allow being bad so discrimination should be against the rules.

Tell me, how can you confirm that someone is a jew or a nygger on an imageboard? They could be lying or posting pictures of someone else. If someone claims he's a nygger then I discriminate them by what they post and not who they are so it shouldn't be against the rules to discriminate them. So this rule says I'm free to discriminate anyone yet they ban me if I do that relying on this rule.

Nonsense.

Anonymous 11238

>>11237
they aren't referring to that.

They are referring to people judging them on earlier stuff with a trip on and not their individual posts.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11239

>>11238
Why the hell would you ban that?

Anonymous 11240

>>11238
Well then maybe people shouldn't use trips. Trips should only be used if someone is making content or contributing.

Anonymous 11241

>>11239
nobody ever has been banned for that that I know of, its just a general etiquette tip.

Its in the etiquette guidelines.

>>11240
you are implying that anywhere here is content oriented.

Anonymous 11242

>>11241
Tell me why a trip is necessary then.

Anonymous 11243

>>11242
Community purposes. Making friends. Its the same reason in serial threads people do it even when there is no content because they like to talk to people and chill

Anonymous 11244

>>11243
I can get the making friends part but explain community purposes.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11245

>>11241
>>11225
>To be fair tho from their site rules page, it kinda is against the rules
Then the quote is incorrect and it's in fact not against the rules to be an asshole.

And trips are to take credit and responsibility for your earlier statements. The very purpose of trips to discriminate individual posters from each other.

Anonymous 11246

>>11245
If trips allow someone to take responsibility for their statements, then I should be able to judge someone based on their trip, right?

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11247

Anonymous 11248

>>11247
Ok because I read earlier and someone was saying no to that.

Anonymous 11249

>>11246
That is his point I believe. Doesn't mean you should, but I'd say yes.

>>11244
Its simply for the fact that a lot of people like knowing who they are talking to also.

>>11245
Yeah, their whole rules are kinda superfluous

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11250

>>11248
And you have every reason to ignore my request. I deserve to be judged because I've earned it. Or not because you've listened to me anyway. Fuckers don't want to take the responsibility for their statements is a different thing.
Also it's kind of stupid to ignore logical reasoning where ever it came from. But it's those loss who are ignoring me and mine.

Anonymous 11251

>>11250
But its the whole "broken watch" thing. Its a debatable topic if you should, but I don't think it should be bannable

Anonymous 11252

Rules against 'discriminating' are silly. However, pulling up irrelevant history or irrelevant traits to derail a discussion or 'win' an argument is quite obnoxious. Then it's basically ad hominen.

"I think ponies should have the right to keep and own guns because [reasons]."
"Wait, aren't you that sperglord who posted his Pound Cake jizz plushie? Go back to pedochan."

Kinda fucks up a conversation.

The Vulture!3bqGraff0U 11253

>>11252
Yeah, once you are known as the paedo-diaper tripfag, it is probably time to change it.
Truth be told, I'd probably agree with the second set because mainly the keeping of said tripcode.
At least when you rant on pedodiaper nonsense, go anon.

11255

File: 1380822460860.jpg (158.85 KB, 739x688, sweetie256.jpg)

I get the impression the powers that be around here would not be open to rejoining ponychan, so I don't think a merger is in the realm of possibility.

11266

Personally, I think "No, fuck those guys, and fuck their Hitler mods too," when I hear this proposal.

If this merger goes through then I might just not even come to the chan anymore, because it seems to me like it'll just go to shit. There would be constant arguing, disputes about board culture, and not to mention on some parts of MLPchan "ponychanner" is synonymous with words like spaghetti, faggot, retard, autism, sperglord, asshole, white knight, neckbeard and fatass.

Anonymous 11276

>>11266
This. No increase in traffic wuld be worth the massive damage to the quality of this site that would result from a merge with Ponychan.

11277

>>11276
No, it wouldn't.

Taking a very large shit on top of a pebble doesn't make it anything more than a shit covered stone.

Anonymous 11278

I don't think the merger talks should be reopened personally. I was big advocate of the original merger idea, drummed up as much support, interest, and awareness as I could of it being something that could happen… but it all collapsed hard, and it collapsed in a lot of ways legitimately, and, at least I feel, it collapsed for reasons that are both real and that haven't changed since then.

I love the idea of putting the past behind as a community and getting the fuck over ourselves… but, honestly, I just never see it happening. It would only take a vocal minority to destroy everything again and make the situation worse than it is now. I'm usually willing to take that risk, but, all things considered from the past attempt, it really seems like too long of a shot to be a real possibility of success.

Artee!V1bM0d5Fdc 11280

File: 1380925687793.png (209.72 KB, 425x425, nice.png)

In a perfect world, this would be viable.

In a perfect world Assad would be at peace with his people and I'd frollic i the flowers with Pinkie Pie.

Sadly, this is not a perfect world and we might just be happy to have our 2 pony imageboards at our disposal. A merger now seems further away than 4 months ago.

Anonymous 11281

File: 1380926223032.png (333.72 KB, 596x473, snorecenter.png)

>>11277
I think you misread what was said in >>11276

One big benefit to the merge though, is that with the traffic increase in one unified site would make MLPchan and Ponychan relevant towards the fandom once more and attract more organic traffic. I don't know about you, but the biggest stumps I've seen that has hurt /fic/'s legacy is the fact that it's forced to be spanned across two sites. Instead of seeing outsiders trying to make themselves comfy, such as the EqD pre-readers, they left instead. Back in the heyday of Ponychan, the site was the 2nd most popular discussion board, and the sheer fact that it was so popular attracted new people, where their posts can attract attention the easiest made the site the dominant place for pony-related discussion. Now that we're split, most people don't bother with either one of them and take it to /mlp/, even if that board's culture doesn't fit them. See, you can tell that a board is succeeding when things initially introduced in it are later carried out to other places on the internet. I've seen that happen with /mlp/ all the time, with Bat Ponies, Princess Erroria, Do or Deer, etc. Even in the heyday of Ponychan, we saw the site become the origin of Desktop Ponies, Sweetie Belle Derelle, the discussion ground with developers of Fighting is Magic, etc.

So now we have two split sites, which on those statistics OP posted, are the only ones on literally the exact same topic and crossposters everywhere. Quite frankly, I've never seen anything like it.

11282

File: 1380927877495.png (62.26 KB, 623x626, Untitled.png)

Anonymous 11283

File: 1380930214293.png (216.72 KB, 680x654, Fluttershy shake-weight.png)

MLPchan's structure can viably host all Ponychan-suitable content. As such, from a technical standpoint, 'merging' is just a matter of directing people here. (Close the boards to new threads, and have the 'make new thread' button redirect to the appropriate MLPchan board. Done.)

From a social standpoint you'd probably want to do a bunch more things. Introduce the mods to new users before the 'merge.' Pull in a couple familiar faces from Ponychan's mod staff, and get them practiced with the rule set/enforcement style over here. Shift one board at a time, to diminish chaos. Make banners or stickies or whatever like "WELCOME /g/ !" And so forth.

It's only truly complicated if you have to compromise quality for bloated egos, in which case (as others have noted) it's no longer an appealing prospect at all.

Anonymous 11287

>>11283
>compromise quality for bloated egos, in which case (as others have noted) it's no longer an appealing prospect at all.
Moony,
Emberstorm
Roctavia
Positively pinkie
You
….
You were saying?
Or is it just the bloated egos of those the ponychan mods don't like?
Why would I go there just to be forced to keep my ego in check while others don't have to?
They should come here and enjoy this freedom too.

Anonymous 11288

>>11252
That's largely the point of a rule against discrimination - that you don't treat someone badly because of their sex/race/sexual orientation etc. It's the sort of thing there are laws against in many countries. It doesn't matter if you can't confirm whether someone is gay or black or such if you're not judging them based on that, anyway - it's not asking for special treatment, but for equal treatment.

Similarly, civility means replying "I disagree with you because [reasons]" rather than "No you fucking autistic moron". This tends to be couched by opponents of such a rule as censorship of their opinions they ought to be able to express, but you ought to be able to express your opinion without flaming, which just creates a hostile atmosphere.

Of course I'm not saying these rules have always been applied correctly or consistently but they're valid rules you find in many places; they're just not like the relatively anarchic environment which is more often associated with imageboard culture. Same goes for the widespread use of tripcodes, which might look attention-seeking coming from 4chan or /anon/ but is just the norm in a different culture. Trying to impose one on the other doesn't end well (and that goes for users who don't/won't adapt to the environment as well as those setting the rules).

That's an aside, anyway. A busier merged site with which most posters are happy is perhaps possible to conceive in a vacuum, but the staff members and users of both sites have enough individuals who are deeply opposed to the other on ideological grounds that it would be exceedingly difficult to come to any agreement.

Legendary!!VhZ4lFrash 11289

>>11288
>tfw I am the only staff member that doesn't really mind the merge, so long as both sides understand that each has to give other the respect that they ask for.
If posters want to be protected by rules, which seems odd to me, but whatever, then we can have two boards in the merged chan which are essentially the same, with different rule sets. People can browse freely between them, and eventually people will all just go onto the less rule enforced one, as the other will naturally die as the vast majority of users don't really care about sexuality in posts.
And if they really have such a problem, just make an option:
Individual posts can be made 'mature' and you can also have an option which makes all your posts tagged mature.
People who can't deal with sexuality of any kind can keep mature off.
/anon/ won't change at all, and I will make sure that the atmosphere stays as close to as it is now as humanly possible.
/oat/ and /chat/ or whatever their stupid names are going to be will be like general and general, with one of the two allowing sexuality and such. The other will be for posters who are frightened by boobs and butts.
Seriously, even if we took ALL of ponychans boards and brought them here, eventually people would just post on all of then, at which point we could just trash any duplicates.
We keep all staff members except for controversial ones (orange, me perhaps, I dunno if I'm controversial.)
And mostly, we just relax and put old bad blood to rest instead of holding on to things that we heard from idiots who were propagatting hate between the boards for their own laughs, instead if telling the truth.
Both sides have done this, and I'm a bit tired of it to be honest.
But whatever, what do I know.
Go on, do what you will.

Sersys!CyQeb5KTDM 11290

File: 1381000547912.gif (1.99 MB, 250x173, tumblr_ms5w2uAs401qdlh1io1_250…)

>>11289
This post epic.

The Person Who Posts As Fluttershy (Element of Self-descriptive Usernames) 11291

>>11289
>so long as both sides understand that each has to give other the respect that they ask for.

This this is the main problem. I've seen /meta/. I don't trust the people, especially the staff on ponychan to understand respect. Heck I don't trust many of the people here to understand that.

Anonymous 11293

File: 1381012353796.gif (3.7 MB, 640x360, peyton.gif)

>>11289
Good post.

11295

>>11281
I'll agree that we need more traffic, but this isn't the way to do it. We should all remember here why MLPchan was even created: because we didn't like Ponychan. What would be the point if we went right back? Nothing, we'd have accomplished nothing and be right back where we were before Anthony made the site.

I don't trust the mods, I don't trust the admins, and I don't like a good chunk of the users on Ponychan. I like MLPchan the way it is, and until it's necessary, I don't want this merge to go through.

This merge just won't work. It'll result in nothing but hate and a large loss of the MLPchan community, especially from /anon/.

Anonymous 11332

File: 1381156340309.png (307.61 KB, 1366x768, ponychan ban.png)

Anonymous 11341

File: 1381170863556.jpg (116.37 KB, 1500x900, i'm feelin' it.jpg)

>>11295
Shit, just do the fucking merge, i'm settled to go back to /mlp/ after project Endgame anyways.
And the facts are clear; the site will have a long and slow decline until death happens anyways, why not go out with a bang?


If anything, do it just to nuke the site so fucking bad that it will be written down in poni poni imageboard history.

Anonymous 11350

>>11341
>we're going to die someday anyway, so we may as well shit our pants and let that filthy hobo into our house

Macil!/5s/Techmk ## Mod 11356

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness. I don't agree with a lot of the specific anti-ponychan sentiment (somehow I doubt each of those ban screens were entirely unwarranted).

A merger is not planned because of differences in user culture, site direction, and staffs. If any of these change, only then would it be possible to productively revisit the merger idea.


Delete Post [ ]
[ home ] [ site / arch ] [ pony / oat / anon ] [ rp / art ]